On November 15 as we remembered all veterans, Saint Nicholas Catholic School in Los Altos was honored to welcome several alumni and the Manoukian family back to campus as we hosted a Prayer Service and Dedication for the Matthew P. Manoukian Memorial Flagpole.
Captain Matthew P. Manoukian, Saint Nicholas Alumni ‘97, was posthumously awarded the military’s highest honor, the Navy Cross, for his heroism during an insider attack in Afghanistan in 2012.
The Saint Nicholas Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts participated in a special flag ceremony, the students led a prayer service, and the School Pastor, Father John Poncini, blessed and dedicated the Memorial Flag Pole. A reception followed in the school gym.
The plaque on the memorial reads:
“Every school day, we salute the flag in grateful appreciation to our Saint Nicholas School alumni, parents and parishioners who have served and continue to serve in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.”
- The Honorable Socrates and Justice Patricia Manoukian, Matthew’s parents
- Michael Manoukian, Matthew’s brother
- Los Altos Hills Mayor, John Harpoolian
- Pastor of Saint Nicholas and Saint Williams Parish, Father John Poncini
- School Principal, Matt Komar
- Matthew’s eighth grade teacher, Kevin Kannengeiser
- Director of Endowment and Financial Aid Programs for Saint
- Francis High School, Mike Speckman