More than 200 long-time parishioners gathered in the parish hall April 17 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Saint Simon Parish, Los Altos. Collectively, the members present represented over 1,500 years of membership.
Special tribute was paid to the late founding pastor Father James L. Spooncer who transformed a railroad-side apricot orchard into an edifice now serving 1,600 active households with approximately 6,000 members.
“We’ve come a long way since the construction was initiated in 1955,” celebration committee member Art Carmichael told his audience. “A double-school for 512 students, kindergarten, pre-school, library, gymnasium, science classrooms, daycare building and expanded faculty facilities have been constructed.”
A photographic and audio-visual display created by Joan Mibach, Marian Marren, and Judy Howard showed parish and school activates from the 1950’s to 2016. Aside from this, parishioner Sue Marrion has a weekly column in the Parish Bulletin featuring long-time members and their memories of the first 60 years.
Among the celebration dinner guests were Monsignor Pastor Stephen Perata, the first parish assistant, current Pastor Father V. Warwick James and his Vicars, Fathers Noel Sanvicente and Mendie Nguyen, and previous Pastor, Father Anthony Mancuso.
Joining the dinner-celebration catered by parishioner Frank Schumann were founding members Marian Podich, Patricia Keller, Connie Hall and her son Stephen, along with Bob and Camille Graham.