Endowment and Planned Giving Program Manager, Catholic Community Foundation of Santa Clara County
Through the years, our local Church has been blessed with the generosity of many parishioners who left a legacy of support by including a gift to the Church in their estate plans. Unfortunately, many times we were unaware of these donors’ intentions to make a gift and were thus unable to thank them properly for their commitment to the future of our Church. A strong desire to express gratitude for these extraordinary future gifts has moved Bishop Patrick J. McGrath to institute the Society of Saint Joseph.
What is the Society of Saint Joseph?
It is a legacy society comprised of Catholic men and women who understand the call to proclaim the Gospel, to build up the Church and to serve our brothers and sisters in the love of Christ. In doing so, they have made a commitment to name their local parish, a Catholic elementary school, the Diocese of San Jose, or any ministry of the Diocese as beneficiaries of a gift in their will or trust, retirement account or life insurance policy. This society will be managed by the Catholic Community Foundation of Santa Clara County in partnership with the Office of Stewardship and Development at the Diocese of San Jose.
How do I become a member?
Joining the Legacy Society requires two steps.
- Step 1: Arrange for a planned or deferred gift to a local parish, a Catholic elementary school, the Diocese of San Jose, or any ministry of the Diocese (endowed or non-endowed).
- Step 2: Let us know of your plans by submitting a confidential Legacy Intention Form. Download the form from the Foundation’s website www.cfoscc.org/SocietyofSaintJoseph or ask your parish to print one.
What types of gifts qualify?
Legacy gifts take many forms. Some of the most common gifts are bequests through wills or living trusts and naming the Church as beneficiary of retirement plans, insurance policies or financial accounts. Please give us a call to discuss other complex gifts that might interest you.
Do I need to make a large gift to be a member?
No. Anyone who names our local Church as a beneficiary of any size gift or any percentage of their estate assets is welcome to join the society. We celebrate and recognize not the amount given but the extraordinary act of faith and stewardship.
What can I expect as a member? As a sign of gratitude for the impact you will have in our local Catholic community beyond your lifetime, you will receive:
- A welcome letter from Bishop Patrick J. McGrath
- Invitation to the Bishop’s annual “Society of Saint Joseph Mass & Reception”
- A society lapel pin to wear at special events
- Special intentions for the members of the society
- Special inaugural certificate for those joining the society during the first year (ending June 2019)
May I be an anonymous member?
Yes. If you choose to remain anonymous, you will have a chance to let us know when completing the Legacy Intention Form and we will honor your wishes; however, your participation in the Society can be an inspirational experience and may encourage others to also follow the example of Saint Joseph as protector of our Church.
The Catholic Community Foundation of Santa Clara County and The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose are pleased to partner together to fulfill our common vision for our local Church. For questions, please contact the Foundation at email@example.com or (408) 995-5219.