Life is about facing and managing change—career, personal, family, and spiritual.
LifeSHIFT: Work & the Christian Journey is a weekend retreat which helps people at work/life crossroads gain clarity in direction while exploring their spirituality. The LifeSHIFT retreat has been offered at retreat centers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Kansas and for the previous two years at San Damiano in Danville, CA. The Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos is partnering with the Center for Life Transitions to offer the retreat February 18-21, 2016.
People need a vision for their gifts and clear language for understanding and presenting their work objectives to others. LifeSHIFT includes a variety of activities including presentation, discussion, journaling, music, reflective solitude, an introduction to the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius and individual consultation. Each participant sets goals, develops resources for growth and experiences imaginative ways to know God’s presence on the journey.
The career/transition work of William Bridges, Parker Palmer, Richard Bolles, Edgar Schein and Herminia Ibarra are used in the retreat. The writings of St. Ignatius of Loyola, Theresa of Avila, Thomas Merton and Henri Nouwen are four sources for spirituality.
People who may find the retreat helpful include:
- Those approaching or experiencing retirement and searching for new meaning in their next work/life phase.
- Those who like to be more thoughtful about their “gifts” and how they connect to work opportunities.
- Those dissatisfied with their career/work and looking for fresh perspectives and purpose.
- Those just beginning a career who are looking for a change or new direction.
- Those who want to look inward and use spiritual ideas/resources to help with decision making and goal setting.
The Center for Life Transitions has reached out to the Diocese of San Jose and many parishes have posted fliers and placed announcements in bulletins. Additional information can be found on the Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos website www.jrclosaltos.org or the Center for Life Transitions website, www.centerforlifetransitions.net. You can also contact the Center’s Director at email@example.com.